LEGO vs Mega Blocks
In the world of construction toys, both Lego and Mega Blocks are familiar names not just to children but to parents as well.
Lego and Mega Blocks are two lines of construction-type toys. Both brand names of toys employ rectangular plastic blocks to create a theme set, standalone figures, and other applicable figures. Each rectangular block has an 8-peg/stud design in even spaces. The bottom of the block has the same number of holes to enable one block to link and interlock to one another. Blocks can be assembled and connected in numerous ways and a variety of constructed objects can be made.
Aside from construction blocks, both Lego and Mega Blocks also deal with other forms like minifigures, set themes, and models.
Lego is built and produced by the Lego Group. The company is a private company and is based in Denmark. The company based its product Lego from the invention of Ole Kirk Christiansen. The Lego Group is the first company that produced plastic building toys. Lego was the first construction toy in history and one of the most recognized toy brands in the world. Aside from being toys, Legos are now also considered collectibles. Lego also cultivated its own subculture and following. There are Lego movies, games, video games, competitions, and theme parks. Lego aficionados also maintain many active online communities.
Compared with Mega Blocks, Legos are smaller and not right for small children.
Lego blocks are known to have bright and brilliant colors and made of APS plastic. All Lego products adhere to strict quality control and high durability standards.
On the other hand, Mega Blocks is one of Lego’s competitors. Mega Blocks are produced by Mega Brands, a public company based in Canada.
Mega Blocks’ products are bigger in size and often used with Legos. Some users often combine the two brands. However, Lego purists often discourage this because Mega Blocks have a dull color, loose connections, and low durability. There are also some concerns about the Mega Blocks sets as difficult to assemble.
Compared to Lego, Mega Blocks are considered cheaper. In some stores, they can be difficult to find because they are mixed with other toy products.
1. Lego and Mega Blocks are two brand names of construction-type toys as well as minifigures. Blocks are often assembled in sets or in figures by interlocking and connecting the pegs/studs in the plastic, rectangular blocks.
2. The main difference between both toys is the company that produces them. Lego is produced by the Lego Group, a private company in Denmark while Mega Blocks is produced by Mega Brands, a public company based in Canada. Legos and the Lego Group are also older in comparison to Mega Blocks and Mega Brands.
3. Lego is the original construction toy line invented by Ole Christiansen. It also pioneered the six-peg, plastic block design. Lego has filed lawsuits against Mega Brands over the patent design but lost.
4. In terms of size, Mega Blocks are bigger compared to Legos. They are mostly designed for younger children. However, Lego has more vibrant colors, high durability, tighter connections, and chemical-free plastics. Lego is also considered to be the higher-quality product due to its strict product control even though it is more expensive than Mega Blocks.
5. Lego enjoys a high popularity among its market. Stores often have priority aisles for Lego while Mega Blocks and other similar products are mixed together in another aisle.
6. Lego also has a higher number of devoted followers. There is a recognized Lego subculture and Lego aficionados. Some Lego fans connect with each other on the Internet and form groups to discuss various Lego-related topics like new products and future innovations.